1. An understanding that we are all in this together.
2. An appreciation of the value of "otherness."
3. An ability to hold tension in life-giving ways.
4. A sense of personal voice and agency.
5. A capacity to create community...
If I were asked for two words to summarize these habits of the heart citizens need to help democracy survive and thrive, I'd choose chutzpah and humility.
By chutzpah, I mean knowing that I have a voice that needs to be heard and the right to speak it. By humility, I mean accepting the fact that my truth is always partial...so I need to listen with openness and respect, especially to "the other."